My lovely bread and butter pudding recipe….perfect for an after Sunday dinner pudding/treat. I am a huge fan of deserts and would love to hear what your favourites are.
– 25g/1oz butter, plus extra for greasing
– 10 thin slices bread
– 50g/2oz mixture of sultanas and raisins
– 2-3 tsp cinnamon powder
– 350ml full fat milk
– 50ml double cream
– 2 eggs
– 25g granulated sugar white or brown
– a couple of pinches of nutmeg
– milk chocolate for grating, one small bar
– icing sugar for decoration
1. Grease a 1 litre/2 pint oven dish with butter.
2. Cut the crusts off the bread. Spread each slice with on one side with butter (leaving nice big chunks of butter), and cut the bread into triangles.
3. Arrange a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the oven dish, then add a layer of sultanas and raisins. Sprinkle with some cinnamon, then repeat the layers of bread and sultanas/raisins, sprinkling with cinnamon, until you have used up all of the bread. Expect to do about 3 layers in total making sure that you finish with a layer of bread, then set aside.
4. Warm the milk and cream in a pan over a low heat ensuring that this does not come to the boil.
5. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add approximately three-quarters of the sugar and lightly whisk.
6. Add the warm milk and cream mixture to the eggs and sugar mix and stir well – this creates your custard mix.
7. Pour the custard mix over the prepared bread layers. Once complete sprinkle with nutmeg and the remaining sugar.
8. Leave the prepared pudding to stand for approximately 20 minutes.
8. Place the pudding dish into the oven and bake at 180-190c for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden-brown.
9. Let the pudding cool for 5 minutes and add a dusting icing sugar and the grated chocolate.